Setting up Mac Mail - Yosemite and El Capitan
1. Open Mac Mail on your computer.
2. Click on 'Mail' top left, then 'Preferences'.
3. Click on the 'Accounts' tab, then the '+' symbol bottom left to begin adding a new email account. Then click "Add Other Mail Account'.
4. Enter your full details into the screen that opens, then click 'Next'. This will then inform you that the mail account must be manually configured. Click next again.
5. On the next screen, on the 'Account Type' select either IMAP (if you want emails to be available on multiple devices) or POP (if you want them to be removed from the server once Mac Mail has downloaded). Then enter the incoming mail server as mail.(yourfulldomain.com). Use your full email address for the username, and password. Click 'Next'.
6. On the next window enter your outgoing mail server settings - this should be 'mail.(yourfulldomain.com)', your full email address as the username, and account password. Click 'Create' to finish making the account. There's a couple more steps after this.
7. Once back on the accounts list, click on 'Advanced' for the account we just created. Make sure authentication is set to password, tick 'Allow insecure authentication' (dont worry - this is just because your server will likely not have an SSL applied for email unless you've purchased one for it). Ensure that 'Use SSL' is unticked and that 'Automatically detect and maintain account settings' is also unticked.
8. Next go back to the Account Information tab, click on the Outgoing Mail Server list, then 'edit SMTP server list'.
9. Click on the SMTP server we specified back in step 6, then click on 'Advanced' - ensure that Use SSL is unticked, Allow Insecure authentication' is ticked, also 'Automatically detect and maintain account settings' is also unticked, and that your full email address is listed as the User Name. Click OK, then close the preferences window to complete the setup. It may ask you to save changes, click Yes to this.
Note: Your server with Nimbus is capable of being used as a basic mail server, but the ongoing battle between spam management, hacking and blacklisting means that Office 365 and Google Apps are the go-to platforms if email is critical to your business/site. Read more here.
Was this answer helpful?
If you are looking for an email provider for your website, Google provide a very affordable...
Follow the instructions below, using your email address as username and email address, your...
If you use your Linux server with Nimbus to host your email, you can access your email via your...
1. Open Mac Mail on your computer.2. Click on 'Mail' top left, then 'Preferences'.3. Click on the...
Plesk general email settings for your mail program. Username or Account ID:...